Working with a Designer
A designer can pull all the pieces of your project puzzle together. You’ll be free to dream, while the designer thinks through all the measurements, material coordination, and construction logistics.
A designer will typically:
- Create a design and draft a floor plan and elevations
- Develop a detailed budget and schedule
- Order products and materials
- Coordinate work with your contractor or act as the contractor
- Provide and oversee the installation and placement of the cabinets, appliances and other design elements
Before meeting with a designer, consider:
- What you and your family like and dislike about your current space — bring a rough floor plan of your space with you to your first appointment
- What general styles you like — contemporary, traditional, eclectic, etc.
- Whether you want your new space to reflect the architectural style of your home
- What designs have caught your attention — bring photos or magazine tear-outs of your favorites
- When you want your project to be ready
- How much you want to spend
- What questions you have about the designer’s work and about the remodeling process in general