Make Your Home Accessible for Everyone
Your home should be just as adaptable as you are — it should be able to accommodate the changing needs of your family, your friends and guests as they get older or deal with illnesses or injuries. Homes that do this will incorporate universal design concepts, also known as aging-in-place concepts, which are features added to living spaces that promote the safety and comfort of all inhabitants, regardless of age or ability.
If you’re planning to renovate your home, it’s the perfect time to consider introducing universal design elements. With a little strategy and a thoughtful approach, you can include these value-added enhancements without sacrificing any of the aesthetic qualities you have worked so hard to establish in your home.
That’s where Classic Kitchen & Bath can help. Our designers have a deep understanding of aging-in-place principles and can consult with you every step of the way to make sure your living areas are safe and functional, yet stylish and beautiful. In fact, three of our designers — Leslie Efraimson, Cathy Pitts, and Gabby Koontz — have completed CAPS (Certified Aging in Place Specialist) training, so we can provide expert answers to all of your questions until you’re satisfied with the solutions we’re recommending.
Here are some basic things to consider when incorporating universal design concepts into your home:
- Multiple counter heights
- Cooktops and sinks with legroom for seated users
- Lever-style door and faucet handles
- Pull-out drawers and organizers
- Open shelves
- Curbless showers
- Hand-held shower heads, benches, seats, and grab bars
- ADA-compliant bath fixtures
- One full bathroom on your home’s main level, complete with 36-inch wide doorway and 50-inch circular area
Around Your Home
- 18- to 24-inch-high electrical outlets
- Smooth, durable flooring surfaces in all traffic areas
- 42-inch-wide hallways and stairways
- Double handles on stairways
- No-step entry into your home and/or garage entry
- Automatic lighting
- Rocker-style light switches
- Low-profile thresholds
These are just some of the ideas. To understand the full range of aging-in-place solutions and how they can be included in your renovation, contact CK&B. Our team will help you plan for the future and make the process as painless as possible.